Friday, June 15, 2012

Inbox Interview 5: Little Miss Mary, Student and Entrepreneur

Little Miss Mary, a handmade accessories company, is a small Ohio based business founded by rising Siena College freshman, Mary Hartwick, when she was sixteen.

After reading this interview, “impressive” is one word that should come to mind. Enjoy ©

#ShesaBoss: Describe the products you sell?
Mary Hartwick: I design and sell wallets, bags, and earrings. The messenger bags that I make are made out of recycled marching band uniforms. I sell my products at shows that are located around my hometown.

#ShesaBoss: What gave you the idea to start Little Miss Mary and how long have you been in business?
Mary: I have been in business since May 2009. I started my business because I had already started making bags and people had said that they wanted to buy one. I was also diagnosed with a thyroid disease that gave me a new perspective. Once I got better I realized I didn't want to wait to start it, there was no reason to wait.

#ShesaBoss: What's one challenge you've faced since being in business and how'd you overcome it?
Mary: Being able to juggle everything. It was hard going to high school and getting my products ready to sell at shows. I overcame it by setting aside time everyday that was just devoted to my business.

#ShesaBoss: What plans do you have for the future of Little Miss Mary?
Mary: That I don't know. I see it more as a learning tool. I learned a lot about business from it and a lot about customers. I also learned a lot about marketing and how to sell a product to a certain market.

#ShesaBoss: What are your plans for after graduation?
I'm not completely sure about what I want to do, but I'm really interested in working in a company that does international business. I love learning languages, I'm working on an Italian minor and I am pretty fluent in Spanish.

Mary is one example of student entrepreneurship and strategic professional development done right. Her destination may not be final, but the path she is traveling to her future is being paved with passion, ambition, and drive!

If you would like more information on purchasing her products please send inquiries through our contact page.

#ShesaBoss and #theGB blog

No comments:

Post a Comment